Friday, April 07, 2006

2006 Vancouver Auto Show

After spending a seemingly endless day at work, a few friends and I decided to visit the 2006 Auto Show at the BC Place Stadium, Vancouver.

The first exhibit which we visit was the Mercedes RMG test driving tour. We were tossed the keys to a 2006 M-Class SUV, Smart Car, and a turbocharged B-Class to drive around an auto cross course. I was quite impressed with all the vehicles which I drove. Although I was asked to tone down due to excessive drifting and wheel squeeling, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Needless to say, I did not adhere to the course speed limit.



Following the test drive, we spent approximately an hour visiting various automobile manufacturers displays. My main reason for visiting the auto show was to see the Volkswagen MK5 Jetta R-GT. This would be the first and last time that this car would be displayed in Canada. Following this auto show, the R-GT will be shipped and displayed in various European auto shows. Upon competing the circuit, the R-GT will be retired and moved to it's final home at the Volkswagen Museum in Wolfsburg, Germany.



The R-GT was a specially authorized and 100% funded by Volkswagen Europe for the Moonraker Project. It was a VW concept vehicle built in collaboration of build three major tuner shops in North America and Europe.

The most well-noted contributer were my friends at HPA Motorsports in Surrey, BC. Their contribution included a 3.2 L VR6 twin turbo motor transplant, capable of punching out a minimum 550 hps at the wheels. Four adjustable race seats, a fuel cell, air jacks, and much more.




My breath was immediately taken away as I stood back to admire the craftmanship which was put into the car. As we were preparing to leave the display, I overheard a Volkswagen sales representative making false claims about the vehicle. He informed a middle-aged individual that the car was available as a factory option for a mere $40,000 extra. As I corrected his endless false information, "Let me introduce you to my friend Alexi. He actually played a key part in building her."

(Alexi providing some education to the VW Sales Representatives)

To make a long story short, we were tossed the keys to the $250,000 USD R-GT. We ended up spending approximately an hour correcting the mis-educated Volkswagen representatives with an indepth tour of the vehicle.

Perhaps one day, I'll visit the museum in Germany and tell them that my friends built her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home