Monday, May 01, 2006

Watching For A Replacement

While getting ready for work a few weeks ago, I discovered that a small amount of condensation had built up inside my Tissot PR50 Automatic watch. I was a mystified as I have a habit of never wearing watches while showering, dish washing, swimming, car washing or washing my hands. I decided to leave my watch in direct sunlight and give it a few days the condensation would disappear. To my surprise, the condensation worsen to the point where I was unable to even read the time.

I had orginally purchased my Tissot in a set for approximately $800 with my wife 5 years ago. Obviously, this watch has a lot of sentimental meaning because it was an anniversary present to each other. I also admired it's swiss craftmanship and rolex styled functioning.

I then decided to bring my watch to the Tissot authorized service centre at Time Co. on Canada Way in Burnaby. After watching the technician pull my watch apart, he showed me where rust/water damages had developped on the internal motor system and dials. He explained to me that the condensation was most likely caused by a failure in the factory seals & gaskets. Unfortunately the watch is no longer covered under warranty and the estimated repair cost was approximately $240 including taxes.

Feeling extremely disappointed, I regretfully decided that I would embark on a search for a new replacement. Since owning a Tissot, I've become quite brand loyal. I've become quite selective on styling and high craftmanship despite high costs.

After a week of searching, I had narrowed down the replacement candidates to either a $375 Seiko Kinetic SMY091 or a $400+ Tissot PR50 Chronograph. I felt many of the other watch manufacturers including Seiko and Citizen to have a lesser quality product. In temptation, I also test fitted the watch which I have desired for many years, the Omega Seamaster. Unfortunately, I was unwilling to pay $1800 price tag for it. I have considered purchasing a match set for our 5th or 10th year wedding anniversary with our wedding date engraved on the back.

I've probably driven my wife absolutely mad throughout this experience. We've been to several jewellers and I've pretty much rejected many of the watches she has suggested as a replacement. While at the mall this afternoon, she turned to me and gave me the look. You guys all know that look your wives will give you. It was her non-verbal way of saying, "Just pick a watch... I don't want to look anymore."

The following two watches are the leading candidates to become my new replacement:




There was no way I could have made the decision today. I wanted to see if there were more selection south of the border as I'll be in Seattle this upcoming weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home