Friday, April 28, 2006

Sianora Sumitomos, Hello Good Year!

After two agonizing years of driving on Sumitomo tires, I noticed that my tires had finally reached the wear bars! I had nothing good to say about these tires. In contrary to the manufacturer's claims, the tires are terribly noisy, and severely lacks performance/traction during wet driving.

My search began at TireTrends.com. I figured that because it was a local shop, I would save on shipping and they were know for their low prices. My preference was to find and purchase a set of Dunlop FM901s or Perelli P7000s. I became quickly discouraged after discoving that many of my preferred tires would set me back at least $800-1000 CAN. I didn't think my wife would be all too impressed with that. With the harsh reality of financial responsibilities to my family, I refocused myself to find something less expensive.

After many hours of searching, I found a classifieds ad on VWVortex.com for a set of used OEM Good Year F1 tires from an VW Golf R32 located in Seattle. The owner informed me that he replaced the set with all season tires after six months of ownership due to his frequent commute to work through snow in the Pacific Coastal Mountain Range. The tires were only used for 5000 miles and were in prestine condition with no nails, patches or buldges in the sidewalls.

He had originally posted a rediculously low asking price of $300 USD for the set. With a little negotiating, we finalized the price to $200 USD. Needless to say, I've already booked off next weekend to pick up and mount the tires in Seattle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home