Sunday, March 05, 2006

All Good Things...

This past Saturday morning, I recieved a telephone call by a few friends who reminded me that the Rodeo Drive-In was closing down today after 55 + years of operation.

Upon arriving, we were astonished by the 30 minute line up to the order counter. I was fine when told to expect a 1 hour 20 minute wait to recieve our food. We were also told that 100% of all sales would be donated to the Salvation Army.



As we waited, I remembered being brought for the first time to the Rodeo at the age of 10. I remembered how it sat as the only building at the corner of 152 Street and 64 Avenue in Surrey. It was surrounded by a double lane road which was primarily used by truckers travelling to the commerical entry point for the United States.

I remembered enjoying countless hamburgers and milkshakes while eating on their outside picnic benches. From there, I would watch trucks pass by in the backdrop of endless farmlands. Their dirt parking lot was always lined with visiting trucks and the occasional wood-paneled 1980's Cheverolet or Ford station wagon.

To me, the Rodeo was my burger Nirvana. Forget about those corporate burger chains. This is the real thing. Delicious burgers, so juicy you'll need a shower afterwards. Great fries, and the deep fried mushrooms are the stuff of dreams. This was absolutely the best burger joint in BC.




The ambience is not much, unless you like picnic tables and talking through a window to make your order, but they have take out. It was always worth the drive.

After waking up this morning, I truly realized that a special place for myself and many of my friends was gone. It is so true that all good things always come to an end. Goodbye Rodeo and thanks for all the great memories!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I grew up at the rodeo. Literally. The owner Jerry was like a second dad to me whom I loved and miss.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home