Monday, February 27, 2006

Good Friends, Good Company, Poor Motor

"It's truly amazing how beautiful is it to watch how a person's life can change for the better with the addition of a child."

Yesterday afternoon, I took the opportunity to visit some long-time friends, Clayton and Kathleen Dyck. I met initially met Clayton during my late teenage years through the mutual interests with Volkswagens. Through the past 10 years of friendship, we've experienced many memorable and unforgettable times together. We've watched each other grow into the individuals which we are now and I've become more appreciative of our unspokened friendship.

Although he is one step ahead of me with the birth of his first child, I get the opportunity to see how my future may become. I see a future that I am eagerly anticipating. Everytime I see Clayton with his daughter, I see a proud and enlightened man with an unmistakable glow in his eyes. I see how beautiful it is to be a dad, happy with a family of his own.

Earlier in my visit, I was invited into Clayton's garage as he and some friends were attempting to diagnose a motor malfuntion in the turbocharged setup in his MKII VR6 conversion. I am always awestrucked when I see his MKII VR6 Golf. It brings back many memories of the good times we had, which includes many spirited drives together and watching countless quartermile races. I still remember my first ride in 1997 as he drove me down Hwy 99 Southbound and engaged a 75 shot of Nitrous Oxide. That was the most pivotal moment of my Volkswagen ownership which influenced two motor swaps, 2 different nitrous oxide set ups, and countless modifications of my Passat and two Golfs.

After pulling apart the motor, traces of heat damage was discovered in the block. I felt Clayton unspoken frustration as he appeared helplessly debating in his mind which direction should he persue in the rebuilding of the motor. Would he replace the entire block? Or would he attempt to rebuild it with hopes that the damage was minimal and unaffect the motor's performance.

Some photos of the motor:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home