Saturday, May 06, 2006

My Recurring Check Engine Light

After running the VAG-COM diagnostic tool and clearing an "overboosting" fault code, my Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated again today. The CEL occurred during my drive into work this morning. Hoping that my ECU needed a simple restart,I pulled over and turned off the ignition and restarted the car. Of course with my luck, the CEL light didn't turn off on it's own.

Accompanied by my friend Dejan and his father's brand new MK5 GTI, we made a short noticed visit to see my friends at PG Performance for some help. Althought the shop was extremely busy with other customers, and non-stop telephone calls, they were kind enough run my TDI through a free VAG-COM diagnostic. The readings indicated that it was the same "overboosting" fault code from the day before.

Once we erased the code, I offered Paul the opportunity to drive my TDI on their unofficial test track. After 15 minutes, he returned stating that the CEL had illuminated again. A telephone call was made to Joe Heffner, the representative of Diesel Tuning (the manufacturer of my tuning box. He encouraged us to turn down the power setting to the recommended powerband: C-mode. Furthermore, he recommended me to purchase and install a boost guage, boost pressure valve to help control and monitor my turbo.

Once the tuning box was adjusted to the new settings, Dejan and I drove out to Mission Raceway. Throughout the 45 minute long drive, the CEL never returned. Thanks Paul! We ended up meeting our usual circle of friends at the raceway and spent the remainder of the evening watching the street-legal drag races.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home