Monday, April 17, 2006

My Hypocritical Conscience

I found a something that quickly caught my interest while surfing the Volkswagen Drivers of Vancouver web forums. The interest was a thread was named, "Spotted: Somebody driving Rob Tang's old car".

In the thread, someone had spotted my old ride speeding through traffic in the city of Richmond. As I progressed through the thread, accusations of street racing began flying between the person who spotted my old car and her new owner.



This thread inspired me to share my negative thoughts about street racing. I know this must sound so hypocritical for me, but I we need to remind ourselves and friends that street racing is extremely dangerous. I admit that I was once heavily involved in this extremely dangerous activity. It happened in my younger years when I felt invisible and had nothing to lose.

In one of our recent club drives, I was very proud to boast that I did not participate in any extreme speeding. It was the first time that I had remained within 5-10 miles of the posted speed limits during any past Volkswagen affliated event. Despite driving normally, we still managed to get to our destination within 30 minutes of everyone else. More importantly, we all got there in one piece.

I feel that my stance naturally changed when I recently found out that I was an expecting father. Since then, I've spent many days, hours, minutes and seconds contemplating the uncountable foolish decisions which I have made in my life. I came to the conclusion that life is precious and in order to properly raise a child, you have to stand by the lessons you teach them. So can we all slow down a little bit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home